Friday, March 3, 2017

The Holly and the Ivy

You may have guessed from the title that we're celebrating holiday foliage this fortnight. So in addition to --or perhaps instead of?-- the eponymous holly and ivy, it's time to break out the evergreen and mistletoe. Oh and by the way, did you know that poinsettias, which totally look like flowers, are actually composed entirely of leaves, no matter what their color?

For that matter, you needn't build your card exclusively around foliage, just include a bit of Christmas greenery somewhere in your design. Of course, if you want to build your card entirely around foliage and flowers, we won't stop you, lol! (Because, coincidentally, that's what we both did!)


Stephanie says, "I chose to cover my card with foliage ... Mondo Poinsettias and leaves to be exact.  I used two shades of red for variation and filled the centers with champagne bling for a bit of texture and sparkle.  Sentiment is from Essentials by Ellen Merry & Bright and layout is this week's Sketch from The Paper Players."


Lauren says, "Everyone knows I love florals and foliage so it's probably not a huge surprise that I was able to easily compose an entire lumpy bumpy card from holly, ivy, poinsettias, pine cones, red berry sprigs and a few other flowers, all in a traditionally Christmassy red and green palette. My favorite part, though, is the background of birch bark patterned paper (by Basic Grey) with an accent of Eyelet Outlet Pine Tree washi tape. Of course it also helped that I found the *PERFECT* sketch-- #201 from Atlantic Hearts Sketch Challenge."

And now it's time for you to break out your own favorite holiday foliage-related goodies, whether it be in the form of stamps, patterned paper, tape or... whatever! Make a card and link it here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, March 15th. Keyword for galleries, etc, is JB:17:05.

7 comments:

Katydid Cards said...

These are both beauties! I have so many stamps I can use to make a card for this challenge...now to find the time, LOL

Marianne said...

Fab creations, ladies. I think it's high time I finished the colouring of the poinsettia card that I started last year...

Robyn Oliver said...

Lovely cards ladies, I too love Poinsettias and have one 'red' growing in my garden...just lots of green leaves at the moment though

Sybrina K said...

Another fun challenge... and love those two cards!

Darnell said...

Gorgeous Christmas cards, Stephanie and Lauren!! Thank you for another fun challenge! Hugs, Darnell

LeAnne said...

Hmmmm....it says that the Linky registration has expired?!

Lorraine said...

Steph your poinsettias are so bold and beautiful, and Lauren that's a gorgeous arrangement against that background.